Do you or one of your friends have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? We may be able to help.
What is IBS?
- IBS is a group of digestive symptoms including abdominal pain or discomfort improved by passing stool. Bowel irregularity (either diarrhea or constipation)
- It is not life threatening and it does not progress into more serious diseases. However, it can definitely affect your qualify of life.
IBS is very common, affecting 25-45 million Americans, mostly women starting in the late teens. It is the second most common cause for missing work and is associated with a higher risk of gall bladder surgery and hysterectomy.
There are three types of IBS:
- IBS-Alternating constipation with diarrhea
What causes IBS? There are multiple possible causes of IBS including:
- Gut to brain communication defect
- Hypersensitivity of the gut
- Altered bacteria in the gut
- Leaky gut
- Serotonin problems
- Post infectious IBS
- Hormones and stress may be a factor, but not a cause
How to diagnose:
There is no specific test so some believe you must rule out other diseases (Crohn’s, Microscopic Colitis, Celiac, etc.). However, there is a blood test to determine if you have post infectious IBS.
How to Treat IBS:
- Avoid food that may trigger your symptoms
- Avoid caffeine
- Add more fiber
- Drink more water
- Stop smoking
- Reduce stress
- Watch for lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance
- Anti-Spasmodic may help cramps
- Anti-Diarrheal may help diarrhea
- Low dose antidepressant for pain
- Linzess for IBS-Constipation
- Viberza for IBS-Diarrea
- Xafaxan for IBS-Diarrhea
- OTC IBgard for IBS-D
- Enteragam OTC for IBS-Diarrhea
ClinSearch is alway doing studies for patients with IBS. To see if you qualify, call (423)698-584.